PDF download

NotiCen PDF file 2017 right arrow Jul

Mission Impossible? Moïse Commits to Round-the-Clock Electricity for Haiti

ISSN:1089-1560
LADB Article ID: 80358
Category/Department: Haiti
Date: 2017-07-27
By: George Rodríguez

Haiti’s new president, Jovenel Moïse, has set himself a major goal that, at best, seems complicated to accomplish: to give the country round-the-clock electricity. He is not the first Haitian president to set that goal. Michel Martelly (2011-2016) also tried to do so––and failed. With some 80% of its population of almost 10.6 million surviving on less than US$2 a day, and with a 40% unemployed rate, this impoverished Caribbean island nation has an extremely inefficient electric system; it operates for 10 hours a day, and covers less than 30% of the people, including those illegally connected to the grid. Estimates by the US Agency for International Development (USAID) place the population without access to the service at 75%, with half of the remaining 25% illegally connected to the system run by the state company, Electricité d’Haïti (EDH). Even the privileged few with access to power face a problem, because “reliability is inconsistent,” USAID said. This, in turn, creates a chain of derived problems, since it “hinders investment, constrains the development of productive businesses, and degrades living standards for residential customers,” USAID said.

This is only an abstract of the requested article. To obtain the full text, please purchase a subscription or inquire with your institution as to its subscription to LADB.